Finding the rhythm along the I-90/I-94 corridor

copyright tracy backer
Fountain of Eternal Life, Cleveland, c. T. Backer

This is the first entry of my third blog. Does that make me compulsive or just a person who likes to write? I really don't know, but I hope you enjoy it. This blog is called "Traveling Fool" which was my user name when I blogged about my around the world trip back in 2006. I love traveling, whether it's to some small town in Minnesota or a European capital. There's always an adventure or funny story. Over the last several years, most of my trips have been back to my hometown of Cleveland, but I have made other stops along the way. I recently renewed my passport and that got me thinking that perhaps I could branch out from my other blogs (about movies and the commuter life) to cover traveling adventures, restaurants, tourist spots and general culture. So, without further ado, here are some observations from my most recent trip back to Cleveland.

I almost always drive home and always by myself. It's roughly 13 hours, traffic and weather dependent. People often look at me like I have three heads when I say I drive by myself, as if I'm crazy. I really don't mind it - I can stop when I want, listen to what I want and there is just something about doing it on my own that I like. I used to try and avoid Chicago, which is almost impossible unless you want to go south through Iowa, but you don't save any time. I used to do the trip without officially stopping, I would just take naps at the rest stops along the tollway once I got into Indiana and Ohio, but now I will stop in either Tomah, Wisconsin or Elgin, Illinois). Some things you need to know: Wisconsin is HUGE, it is almost half the trip, and I'm not kidding; use the E-Z pass to pay your tolls through IL, IN and OH, it will save you money and time; the rest stops are nice in Ohio than Indiana and the gas is usually cheaper; the rest stops are great places to rest, take a little nap, stretch your legs, whatever, without getting off the main highway.

When I finally get to Cleveland, you can find me on the East Side, mainly in the area known as 'The Heights', where I grew up and where my mom still lives. The last few years I have arranged my trips home around concerts in the area, but I also love to visit my movie theater, The Cedar-Lee, which shows a lot of foreign films, documentaries and independent movies. They used to have $2 movie night on Mondays, but I suppose that's not feasible anymore. There is a Turkish restaurant across the street and other local eateries and pubs. My other place to visit is called Coventry which has my favorite restaurant, Tommy's (I get the MR2, the IRS or the Quigley and you should split the milkshakes); it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a must for a lot of people. Coventry is also packed with one of a kind shops and restaurants, including Big Fun, Mac's Backs (attached to Tommy's); Grum's, a delicious sub shop; the Grog Shop, a music club, to name a few.

I didn't go downtown this visit, so I have something to write about next time, but downtown is making a comeback, and you never know when they'll be filming a movie. This past visit they were filming for Fast and Furious 7, and the first Avengers, Captain America: Winter Soldier, A Christmas Story were also filmed there.

This is definitely a work in progress, thanks for stopping by.

The Heartbreak of Tomah
by me
Flat endlessly long
Cheese curds squeaky taunt me now
Oh Tomah heartbreak

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days