I could seriously eat my way across the United Kingdom

To steal a quote from Lionel Bart and Oliver! "Food, glorious food!" I have no pretensions of having a sophisticated palette, but I have my favorite things and things I want to try. One of the fun things about traveling is trying new foods and flavors or food in different preparations. One of my go to foods when I travel in Europe is pain au chocolat (or as we say here, chocolate croissant); I probably had about 8-10 over the two week period (perhaps fewer, but perhaps not). I'm not bragging, just saying. I also had my share of pizza and fish and chips on this trip. There were other meals and beverages as well, some that stuck with me and others that were more sustenance and eating out of habit rather than any experience I had. I didn't photograph everything, because sometimes you just look like a pillock. 

The first fish and chips on the trip, but not the last - Edinburgh

An amazing salmon omelet, toast, tea and cranberry juice breakfast at my Orkney B&B. My mouth is watering right now.

Banoffee pie and cappuccino, Glasgow

This trio of deliciousness was at Baffo in Glasgow. I think this was my first (but not last) pizza.




What a great find this was, MacTassos, a food truck near the Kelvingrove Museum and near the University of Glasgow. This is halloumi cheese in a wrap with french fries, tomatoes and red onions and a sauce. I wish I had another day so I could have it again.
An iced and filled cookie. I love my sweets.

I didn't actually get a doughnut, but I think this is the first Krispy Kreme I have seen in the UK.

All we really wanted was a little sandwich after our stroll around Hampton Court Palace, but we got a little more than we bargained for at Coppernose in The Mitre. I had the chicken Milanese. It was an experience, I've never had that before. It was tasty, just more than I should have eaten since my friend made a wonderful Sunday roasted dinner. I should have taken pictures of that, with Yorkshire puddings, veg, chicken, dressing. Oh, so much food, but it was yummy.

After our day at Windsor Castle, we wandered and made our way back to Clarence, a little tea room we visited four years ago. It was accidental, but a happy accident indeed. We had paninis for lunch, no photo, but trust me, it was scrumptious. Melty mozzarella and goat cheese with tomatoes. Mmmm. Of course, you knew there was going to be a piece of cake, didn't you? Chocolate cake and a cappuccino (I think this was my third or fourth cappuccino?). We had a big meal that night as well, with my first Indian meal of the trip, and sadly the only one. I would say it was an annual thing, but since the last time we did it was four years ago, it's more like the Olympics. Oh so good. A good meal and good friends, you can't beat that.

It took me a little while to get my bearings and find this Italian restaurant/bar in the Docklands in London, not too far from the Docklands Light Rail station and Travelodge hotel. It was definitely worth the effort. It's kind of an office park/restaurant complex with a little park nearby for kids. You may not be surprised by my choice of fried brie (that is a great idea by the way, it beats mozzarella sticks) and of course, four cheese pizza. I don't care what people say, there is never enough cheese, or pizza.

On the same evening as the pizza, I stopped by this little gelato place in the same complex. Why don't we have more gelato shops in the US? Or at least in my corner of the Twin Cities? Mmmm.

Just for something different, the menu from the first class carriage on the train from London to Newcastle (LNER). I don't remember booking first class, but I must have. It's so much more comfortable, especially on any journey over two hours. It's not always practical or possible, but at least I did one thing right on the trip.

I stopped by The Head of Steam after walking around Newcastle by the River Tyne. I had the chicken tikka 'burger' with chips. I liked the sandwich and the service was friendly. I really liked the chips, nice and golden. 

I hadn't planned on a pizza night, but it was a Saturday night (but 5:30 or so, so early) and places were packed, and while I don't mind traveling by myself, sometimes eating alone is easier done in a nice small restaurant, in this case, a pizzeria. This was a little different in that it was Detroit style and not the traditional wood-fire pizza seen above. I really liked this place, called Square. The staff was friendly, the service was fast, and there were so many options. I exercised some control by just ordering a couple of squares instead of challenging myself to eat a whole pizza. I had a concert to attend, after all. I tried the veggie pizza and the red top, which was cheese and tomato sauce. There were other options, like Mac and Cheese, but only as whole pizzas. If you're in Newcastle in the city center, check them out.

I had a night in Amsterdam; it didn't go like I planned (see previous post), so I didn't do any sightseeing or grand eating like I wanted to do, however, I did get my hands on a can of Chocomel, which is chocolate milk on steroids (not literally, please). It's one of the things I really wanted to get on my very short stay. Mission accomplished!

At the risk of sounding like some obnoxious show off, this was my meal on my flight home - salad, tomato soup, ravioli and a little cup of melted ice cream, followed by a small glass of Bailey's and then to end the flight, a crab cake and salad. A fabulous and delicious end to a very successful and amazing trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days