The Accidental Tourist, or Ms. Magoo does the UK

There was nothing easy, straightforward or regular about my first COVID-era international adventure. In fact, the night before I was supposed to leave, I was seriously worried the trip might not happen at all. Between COVID testing requirements and government required paperwork, I almost gave myself a heart attack. But, never fear, dear reader, I did go, I did have several adventures, I did get lost with predictable regularity and I did eat some very good food. So, since the trip wasn't exactly predictable, I thought I would write the blog in a somewhat new fashion for this trip (truth be told, I would have blogged over the two weeks, however thanks to the built in obsolescence of technology, I could not blog on my iPad...argh).

As a way to ease into the two week adventure in England and Scotland, I thought I would make topical posts instead of just straight chronological posts. I am going to start with some of the unusual signs or street art I found along the way. You just never know what you're going to find if you look up or sideways or in places where you don't expect to see anything special. That was especially true of this trip, one that started out with the expressed goal of seeing Genesis on their last tour (which didn't happen), and adventures were found in other places. Next up - food

Saw these stickers in a lot of shop windows in Kirkwall, Orkney Islands

Blowing in the Wynd, Kirkwall, Orkney Islands


Bears, coffee, coffee, bears. Such a hard decision. I chose coffee at Ronizo, in Glasgow.

I liked this quote from the "Alice in Wonderland" exhibit at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. This section was on the empowerment inspired by Alice.
 The magical Platform 9 3/4 (from Harry Potter, you muggle) in King's Cross Station in London

My UK friends gave me a definition, but I've borrowed this one from Wikipedia: A pelican crossing is the UK and Irish name for a type of pedestrian crossing, which features a pair of poles each with a standard set of traffic lights facing oncoming traffic, a push button and two illuminated, coloured pictograms facing the pedestrian from across the road. (it's actually much longer, but....)


Is this a regular problem? I mean, it's very specific. It doesn't mention hot dog sales or fish and chips. 

I love a bit of whimsy. This was on a post box in South Shields, Newcastle (I believe it was South Shields, it may have been North Shields).
We can all use a little prayer now and then. This is near Newcastle Cathedral.

When is a bench not a bench? When it's art. This is along the River Tyne in Newcastle.

I should go stand in the Comical Corner. I love Newcastle.
Who says dinosaurs are extinct? This sculpture was on the walk along Hadrian's Wall/Way, Newcastle. ROAR
Also along Hadrian's Wall/Way. Super cool.

 It's nice you can drop off your packages and your kids at one spot. Newcastle.

More whimsy, this time near Newcastle University (it's a stack of books)
Mask up, Newcastle

That's a very judgmental sign if you ask me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days