A little preoccupied by FOOD - eating around the Lake District and Yorkshire

I'm a little behind in the old blog posting, frustration with the keyboard and some long nights precluded me from focusing on writing. In an attempt to get back on track before my trip to the Lake District and Yorkshire are too far in the rearview mirror, I'm going for some low-hanging fruit, or perhaps I should say, low-hanging cheese. I normally don't take pictures of food unless there's something interesting or different (don't get me wrong, I THINK about food ALL THE TIME), but given the locales and some of the food, I took many pictures. I'm going to write this and then get some dinner.
no need for Plan B

Unless there's some kind of food emergency, I try to stay away from food I can get at home, like McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Starbucks, etc., and eat 'local' (to an extent, as we all know from my travel book Oh, You're a Vegetable, I can be a picky eater). I made an honest effort to try things I haven't tried before, or that might be different from my expectations, or just a different experience. I stayed at two guest houses and both gave me the opportunity to try something new for breakfast (this is really a reminder to myself, and you, if you like, to take those chances when you get them, because they may not come around again, or as easily). I tried crumpets for the first time, which for Americans resemble English muffins, but are a little thicker, but so good when they're nicely toasted and smothered in butter and marmalade (or your jam of choice).
Crumpets

I also tried kippers for breakfast, and I was a little hesitant, I mean, what if they didn't agree with me (so to speak) or if I really didn't like them? Well, never fear, they were deliciously prepared. Kippers are an oily fish with tiny bones, but most of the bones were removed at some point, and they didn't seem too oily after they were cooked. I enjoyed them in York and am going to see if I can find them here and cook them.


In Windermere, I had a most delicious cheese soufflé, tiramisu and coffee with Bailey's at Café Italia.
On a daytrip around the Lake District I tried a seafood chowder at Sun Cottage Cafe with mussels and some type of whitefish and two chunks of bread. Oh my word. It was a big bowl and I made all gone :)






Fish and Chips in Whitby (no mushy peas)

The English like their sandwiches (invented by the Earl of Sandwich), and I love sandwiches, it's like we were made for each other. They make all kinds of sandwiches (toasties, sammies, sarnies) on all types of breads (white bread, brown bread, baguette, croissant) with all types of fillings (cheese and tomato, chicken curry, macaroni and cheese, prawn and mayo). 
Pizza is one of my favorite foods, and sometimes it's the easiest to find and or eat (sometimes it's not possible to get a bigger meal because you can't eat it all by yourself [or you can, but really shouldn't], so you don't want to waste food). I had a few good pizzas on this trip, one was a totally new experience for me: anchovies, black olives and capers - a cheese based salt-lick. It was good, but salty; the base of the pizza was truly heaven, and I would have been totally sated with just the cheese, sauce and oregano/basil. Oh my god, I'm so hungry. Affogato: vanilla gelato and espresso

I watch The Great British Bakeoff and had the chance to have Victoria Sponge and scones on a few occasions...so I did.

I couldn't tell you if they were authentic or the best ever, but I enjoyed them (and I can also say that I have never had scones like that here in any coffee shop, and that's a shame). I should also mention the CHEESE. I love cheese, soft cheese, hard cheese, cheese and fruit, cheese and crackers, cheese and tomato, and in Wensleydale (home of Wallace and Gromit) I tasted about 12 kinds of local cheeses and then had a mac and cheese toastie. That may have been the best sandwich I've ever had. If not, maybe I need to have it again to be sure.


Mac & Cheese toastie

I don't think I had a bad meal, maybe my least favorite was the veg pie I had in a pub; we were a little rushed, and it wasn't exactly what I expected, but it wasn't terrible, just not my favorite.

Errr, a sign? or two?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days