A very quick spin around York

If you have stopped by the blog before, you know sometimes I come up with an idea and then it takes me on an adventure. In this case, I wanted to see Mike & the Mechanics, and since I had never been to York or Yorkshire, that's where I decided to go, and built the trip around that. My first stop, as you may have seen, was in Windermere and the Lake District. After a few lovely days there, I hopped on the train and headed east to York. I stayed at Gillygate Guest House, which was very nice, clean and super convenient to getting around the walled part of the city. I had a delicious breakfast of kippers, which was one of several hot breakfast choices. It's fun to stay in a type of place you don't normally, it's part of the adventure. I only had a couple of days (seriously, I know you need more than a week, but, next time) and I went on some tours out in the Dales and on the moors (more on that later), and didn't have as much time as I wanted to wander around York. York is surrounded by an ancient wall, which you can actually walk on. At the center of York is the Minster, formally known as the Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St. Peter in York; it towers over York and became one of the easiest ways for me to figure out where I was. It really is something to think that Romans and Vikings were here, walking the city walls, crossing the River Ouse (pronounced ooze).

Outside the city wall (the moat?)


  River Ouse, high water

The Minster


World War I memorial





Defending the city


looking out from the city wall



Minster at night

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days