Keith Haring at the Walker Art Center Minneapolis

I had a wonderful Sunday out last weekend with my pal and we attended the "Keith Haring: Art is for Everybody" exhibit at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis. The exhibit runs through September 8, 2024, and I really recommend it to anyone interested in pop art. I was familiar with Haring's work, as in I knew the name and recognized some of his art, but I was not an expert or very well-versed in his career, but there was something about what I did know, that made me want to know more. 

The exhibit covers Haring's career, which was a lot more than painting, or even just painting on canvas. He created and performed in performance art with dancers; he collaborated with rappers; he made sculptures and videos; worked with kids at a residency at the Walker; and he made protest paintings and other artwork to raise attention to growing AIS/HIV crisis in the 1980s.
 
In addition to paintings, there are various three dimensional art works, music videos featuring Madonna and Grace Jones, documentary clips; there is also a corner that has some of his more explicit work. I really appreciated this, because this allows for families with kids to participate without interrupting the flow, and also lets the adult visitor opt out if they choose (which we did). It was tasteful and subtle. 


I enjoyed so many of the paintings on many levels his choice of colors and shapes just struck me and I liked looking at them; then when I read the descriptions, it gave me more insight and another way to look at the art work and take something else away from it. 

These are not just squiggles. Look closely.




Haring did this for Live Aid in 1985

These are the same sculpture

After strolling around the exhibit, we had brunch at Cardamom in the museum. Note to self - if you're going somewhere on Father's//Mother's day, make a reservation. But it all worked out. We sat at the bar, and had full service, and great chit chat with the bartenders/servers. Its Mediterranean based menu had so many option, we need to go back, or I may just have the French toast again, flavored with pistachio, cardamom anglaise and mascarpone, it was AMAZING. My friend had a most substantial avocado toast, which looked delicious. 

I would have licked the plate, but I found some self-control.


Pistachio latte

It was a beautiful day (before the week of rain came), so we walked around the Sculpture Garden, which is one of my favorite places in the city. I love the Spoonbridge and Cherry and have since I saw it over 25 years ago. 
Spoonbridge and Cherry by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen

Hahn/cock by Katharina Fritsch


 The Walker hosts a variety of events and programs and also has mini golf in the summer months, so there is something for everyone. Check its website for admission discounts, including free hours to visit. The Sculpture Garden is free and open all year round. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barcelona - the first two days

All aboard to Marrakech

A little more of Paris Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Montparnasse Tour