Revisiting childhood memories and making new ones

My brother came out for a visit on July 4th. I picked him up in Rockford, Illinois, just like when he was little and we drove back to Minnesota. We were welcomed with fireworks from all over the Twin Cities area. We didn't get any good pictures, so you'll have to trust me. He really wanted to go back to the Mall of America, to see how it's changed and see all the stores (I only took him to the old Camp Snoopy; I mean what 7 year old wants to shop?) But, this 22 year old young man was all about the shopping. I think there are over 10 sneaker stores at the mall, and we went into every one. He's a great guy, and maybe one day I'll just write about him. No pictures of the mall, but if you haven't been there, it's an experience; there's plenty to do, tax-free shopping on clothes, the indoor amusement park, food for every taste, and great people watching. A lot of locals avoid it, but I don't mind going for specific things, this was my first real deep dive into every wing of the mall. Next time I'll send him on his own.

On Wednesday we went downtown to eat at one of my favorite places, Hell's Kitchen. This is NOT Gordon Ramsey's "Hell's Kitchen", but a local eatery with unique dishes or twists on traditional dishes; my brother had huervos rancheros with bison and loved it; we shared tempura battered cheese curds with an amazing dipping sauce, the curds were light and delicious and we ate every last one of them. The vibe is friendly even though the artwork may give you the willies. Hell's Kitchen makes their own ketchup and peanut butter and they are known for their Bloody Mary bar on the weekends (reservations recommended). I love bringing visitors here because it's not something you can find at home. Above Hell's Kitchen is Angel Food Bakery where they have doughnuts and cupcakes and other dessert deliciousness. I got a Mexican Lucky which was like a twist with cinnamon and chocolate and my brother got a raspberry chocolate doughnut. In previous visits I have had a cronut, a caramel sea salt doughnut and a mint chocolate doughnut.

After eating all of that food, we had to walk a little, so we headed over to Minnehaha Park to see the Falls. I haven't been here in a while, but it's a very popular place and it was pretty busy with visitors. There are a lot of steps to get closer to the falls, but it was totally worth it. There are places to rent bicycles and a little cafe, The Sea Salt Eatery (we didn't go there, but I have heard good things). You can get to the park by driving, biking or like we did, take the Blue Line to 50th St./Minnehaha.

The day ended with the Adele concert and we are off to Chicago. It's been a good visit.



Little Crow mask

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days