Chicago - Stuffed Pizza, Michael Jordan, the Bean....

After four days with my brother in Minnesota, we headed off to Chicago for the Peter Gabriel/Sting concert. I've mentioned before that I like to plan and my brother is a "let's see how it goes" kind of guy. We did have sort of an idea where we wanted to go, but there is so much to do and see and eat in Chicago, I wanted to make sure he had a great visit. We stayed at a hotel near the Midway airport which had a free shuttle to the Orange Line connection at the airport which worked perfectly for us (when I booked the tickets I had NO idea that Taste of Chicago was going on, which is why hotels in the city were booked or really expensive). My brother had not been on a plane in about 10 years, so he was super excited and really wanted a window seat; it was like he was 10 years old again. We got to the hotel and ordered pizza from Giordano's, which was extremely cheesy, but also filling enough for us to finally head into downtown. Chicago is a lot bigger than Cleveland, and I think Cris was overwhelmed. The one thing he KNEW he wanted to do was go to the Magnificent Mile area and check out the stores (oh my gosh, more shopping). We went to Niketown and the Michael Jordan Shoe Store, mainly to check out the historical shoes (yes, there is such a thing) and take some photos. He was in heaven, so I tried to be quiet. We stopped by the Trump Tower, which was new since my last visit, and he gave it the finger; he's 22, he can do that. We passed Michael Jordan's bar, and of course had to go in. Unlike me, Cris doesn't mind an adult beverage; I hope that was the best Manhattan he has ever had!
Hiking over to Navy Pier, Cris was chasing Pokemon, but also enjoying the great Chicago skyline. I would have loved to do something like the Architectural Boat Tour which I have done a couple of times before, and he would have loved that, but he just wanted to walk and find Pokemon. Look, there's one now!
Your intrepid author and Drowzee
We got a late start on Saturday and headed downtown to go to Millennium Park and check out the Bean


and all the action and the people before we trekked over to the Shedd Aquarium (sadly we had to  pick between Adler Planetarium, the Field Museum and the Aquarium); the line was ridiculous. I should have bought tickets online, but I didn't want the whole shebang, I just wanted the Shedd Pass which wasn't available online. The Aquarium is amazing, something for everyone, and I really wanted to see the Beluga whales and penguins again.


 By the time we finished with the Aquarium, we were hungry, so we grabbed a Polish and a veggie dog at Kim and Carlo's, which really hit the spot. Then we were ready to take our time and head over to the United Center for the Peter Gabriel/Sting concert and maybe eat in that neck of the woods. Yeah, that didn't work as planned as I noted in my other blog. But, like I always do, I made it in the end. We even had time for Cris to take some photos with Michael Jordan, well, his statue. 
The concert ended a little after 11, and we started the walk back. We were starving because those hot dogs were hours ago. We came to the Billy Goat Tavern (famous in the John Belushi Saturday Night Live sketch "Cheezborger, cheezborger") and Cris had a cheeseburger and I had chicken. It was fine and hit the spot and sustained us for the long walk back to the El station. I was trying to explain we were eating in a Chicago landmark; I'm not sure I succeeded. After walking over 10 miles (I swear it was more than that) the whole day, we made it back to the hotel after one in the morning. It was a great day and a great weekend. Maybe next time I'll try to have more planned, or maybe I won't. Thanks Chicago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days