Nordic Capital - Helsinki, Finland

After my Arctic adventure, I planned on spending some time in the Finnish capital of Helsinki on my own. I did some planning, but I also planned to be a little spontaneous, if that make sense. I had things I wanted to do, but aside from a day trip to Tallinn, Estonia, everything else was up for grabs. My hotel, Hotel Klaus K, was perfectly located near a tram stop, walkable to the ferry and other areas of the city center. I also knew I was going to take public transportation, so I bought a four day bus/tram/ferry card and gleefully hopped on and off. Okay, if I'm honest, I had to hop on and off so much because I kept getting lost, or slightly misdirected. But no worries, on, off, walk a little, take a different tram, it all worked out. 


My first afternoon in Helsinki I just walked around I'd like to say getting my bearings, but we both know that would be a lie. Helsinki, like most northern cities, include Minneapolis/St. Paul, doesn't stop because of snow. People were out walking around, shopping, working, some bundled up like it was 30 (it wasn't), others more casual about the cold. The one thing about traveling solo is sometimes it's hard to figure out meals, especially dinner. Don't get me wrong, I eat, but I would have liked to have tried out some of the different restaurants and cuisines but sit down dinners is one thing I don't do great on my own. It's a lot of time to just sit there, and you can't always read because of the lighting, and really, do I need a really heavy meal? Nah. So meals were very unstructured and random. One of my unstructured meals was salmon soup at an outside stall. So good, and piping hot, with chunks of salmon, potatoes, carrots. 
love the Art Deco on the train station

It was suggested that I check out the new library, so being a recovering librarian, I found my over to the library and was really blown away. My picture doesn't really capture how amazing the structure is or how well designed the interior space is there were ramps with chairs for reading on the first level; s nice children's section; a cafe and shelves and shelves of books. Yes, books. In my library, they redesigned the space for fewer books. I also went up to the reference desk to ask for some recommendations for Finnish authors. If you're in Helsinki, I highly recommend stopping by the library.

                                                                                             inside the library
Helsinki Central Library Oodi


Paavo Nurmi, Olympic runner
On one of my wilder expeditions, I took the tram (or maybe 2) out to the Olympic Stadium. It didn't really seem like something I could go into (I didn't ask, I just wanted to see it), I was so pleased I made it there. Paavo Nurmi was a middle and long distance Olympic runner, running and winning medals in three Olympic Games in the 1920s.

Helsinki has a Skywheel and I thought about going on it, but I wasn't sure what that would be like in the winter, would it be foggy, too windy? Well, I made a game day decision and grabbed a ticket. It was early enough in the day I didn't need to worry about booking ahead or lines, but I can imagine on clear sunny days, there might be a queue. I had a capsule to myself and got a great ariel view of the city. It wasn't terribly expensive, and I do like my skywheels, ferris wheels, whatever you want to call them, so it is usually something I like to do if it's not your thing, there are plenty of other things to do.


Helsinki has its fair share of churches and cathedrals, many are Lutheran, but there is also a Finnish Orthodox Cathedral, which is Eastern Orthodox. Unfortunately, I lost track of my days, and the church was closed when I went to visit, so I could only appreciate it from the outside. It was up a hill, so I got a good workout if nothing else.


Another big church that catches your eye is the Helsinki Cathedral which is Evangelical Lutheran. I was able to go into this and it is a beautiful building, up another set of huge steps, and gives you a wonderful view of the city. It was very quiet and peaceful inside, not as ornate as Orthodox or Roman Catholic Churches, but I think that is intentional (I mention this because when people 'rate' churches in TripAdvisor  - that's a thing, they often 'rate' some lower if they are not decorated with murals and stained glass, etc., disregarding that this is a place of worship). Anyway, I liked it, and I love looking at the niches and the organ.


Temppeliaukio Church was on the route. It is actually built into solid rock. It's not very large compared to other churches I've been in, even that day, and it doesn't have stained glass or typical artwork. The structure is the artwork, to me anyway. I think it would be interesting to hear a service or a choir performance. There is a minimal fee to enter, and while some people on Trip Advisor complain, I don't. Then don't go.




I really enjoyed my time in Helsinki, well of Finland really, but I think I enjoyed my alone time in Helsinki, compared to my time with the tour group. For me there is something enervating about being with a group of people who do not shut up. I have other friends who love touring with strangers, and I am still very, very ambivalent. But that little negativity aside, go to Finland, go to the Arctic Circle by train, spend time enjoying the countryside and the people and the food.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days