Day trip to Tallinn, Estonia

 

It was hard to resist popping over to Estonia from Helsinki when it's so easy to reach. It's about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour ferry ride and depending on what your sightseeing goals are, you can spend about 6 hours there and come back in the afternoon. I wasn't sure I had a lot of sightseeing goals, I just wanted to explore. I did know that I wanted see the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, but other than, no idea. 

On the ferry, I booked comfort class tickets, which isn't the highest level, but it's close, and you get a limited free buffet and food for purchase. I was hoping to find a nice little corner to take a morning snooze, but the two women in the little room decided that 7:00 am was a good time to have a chat. Ugh. But other than that, the crossing was very smooth and delightful.


a view from comfort class on the ferry

Upon docking, I just started to walk, following the crowd since most people were going in the same direction. The conditions were slippery and snowy and cold, and it occurred to me that I might enjoy the randomness of this visit in warmer weather. But, onward. Eventually I found the target of my quest, and went into the cathedral. Photographs are not allowed inside, and while I definitely respect the request, it is so hard because it is really magnificent inside. The architecture, the icons, the atmosphere are breathtaking. There is something about the Orthodox style of church that just blows me away every time. I just tried to soak it all up while I was inside. Even my pictures from the exterior don't totally capture it.


Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

I walked around Old Town with cobbled streets, lots of hills, cafes, shops, praying desperately that I would not fall on my arse and ruin my trip (this is what happens when you get older). 

interesting decoration

Inside Kiek in de Kok museum, modern art and history in the Fortification Museum. Some parts were closed due to exhibit rotation, but it was an interesting look into Tallinn society in the late 19th and 20th centuries, including under Soviet rule. 



one of three monks in the Danish Kings' garden



There was a Christmas market but I didn't really go for shopping. I went to Toompea Castle, but not in, and stood on the hill and just took in the scenery. I looked for a cafe, and there were a lot of them, but they were really packed, I eventually found an Irish pub (yes, one of at least two that I saw) and had fish and chips. Very tasty. I think I had reached the end of things I wanted to do and things I had the energy, so I headed back to the ferry terminal for the trip back to Helsinki.

So, I think if I had a list of things I really wanted to do, maybe shopping, I could have been more efficient with my time. I suppose I could have also paid for a tour, and there a many out there, but I don't think going hither and yon at someone else's dictate at their pacing would have made me very happy. I'm glad I went and I'd like to go back and spend more time in the Baltics and really experience those countries, but I would do that in the spring or fall, I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days