Adios to Tortuguero and Hola to Monteverde

I remember very clearly waking up on this last morning and hearing the howler monkeys. I hadn't heard them before, so either I totally ignored them or didn't realize what they were. Once I realized, I was so glad I did have the experience of hearing this incredible sound. 

I think this is a Kingfisher, snapped after breakfast (mine, not his). 

After breakfast, I reluctantly took the boat across the river (the shortest commute to an airport EVER), I met the man who runs the airstrip, weighed my luggage and waited. What are the odds that I would be the only one on the plane? (hint: they rapidly decreased over the next 15 minutes). As I waited for the plane, I walked across the airstrip and over to the beach. How often can you do that?  




Flying over volcanoes, one day I hope to go to that region of the country and not just fly over it. After arriving in San Jose, I was met by my new driver and guide and we set off for the three plus hour drive to Monteverde. It was long, but I saw more of the country. We took Highway 1 (or CA-1) that goes from Panama up to Canada (I may have said that incorrectly, but I don't think so). It was pretty scenic and my guide pointed out different things along the way, scenery and historical/cultural information. We arrived at my next destination around 11:00/11:30, they dropped me off, adios, and I checked in.

My room was down a flight and a half of stairs (no elevator, which normally isn't a problem, but damn, that suitcase felt heavy at the end of my stay). I fell in love with my room right away. I loved the little patio; it was a lovely way to start the morning or end the day. The bed was comfy too. There was no television here either, which was really okay. I polished off an e-book whilst sitting on the patio, and on the grounds. 


After I had lunch (more on the food later, but I was not disappointed), I walked a mile (or less?) into town and to the Frog Pond. Personally, I thought it was a little pricey ($20 US), but I could have gone back later in the day to take advantage of the nocturnal behavior of the frogs. The Frog Pond doesn't capture any more frogs due to ecological laws and rules now in place, but they do breed them. We had a guide who told us about the different frogs and helped point them out because some of those buggers love to hide. I'm really not a frog person, and I think I saw more frogs in 8 days than in my entire life. If this is your thing, then I highly recommend it. It was easy to walk to from the lodge, but it was hilly and hot; if you go further down, you get into the town center. 


Can see you the eyes?He's happy to see us.
One of the residents. I'm not sure what that is and I couldn't find it online.

After my first day, I had a wonderful meal featuring some incredible mozzarella burrata with confit beetroot as an appetizer; sea bass for my entree and then a coffee flan for dessert. 
  
Not bad for my first day in Monteverde.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days