Kansas City, pt. 1 - Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and American Jazz Museum

It was an action packed Saturday: three museums, four Uber/Lyft rides and one baseball game, and a partridge in a pear tree. When I originally planned my visit to Kansas City to go to Kaufman Stadium and see the Kansas City Royals play the Cleveland Indians, I had only one other thing on the agenda, and that was to go to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. That's it, and then maybe take a long nap. I had no idea I would spend a good part of the day at museums. I was hoping for decent weather in Kansas City, as in no rain; I could deal with cold. It was delightful, mid to high 60s, and a little cloudy.

Saturday morning started at the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum (NLBM) and the American Jazz Museum; they are part of the same complex on 18th & Vine. A beautiful space, not too large in terms of square feet, but both are packed with artifacts, photographs and videos. I'm talking about them together, but they are distinct organizations. I have wanted to go to the NLBM for a long time; I'm a huge fan of the players from that era since I first learned about Satchel Paige, who played with the Kansas City Monarchs and later with Cleveland, and then I had the opportunity to meet a few of the players at signings, Buck O'Neil, Mamie "Peanut" Johnson (yes, women played, too). It's a piece of baseball history that a lot of people don't know, and if you're a fan, you really should. It's also a way to learn about American history. Many great players were not able to play in the Major Leagues because of segregation, and their names and stories would be lost if not for this museum. There are not a lot of hands-on exhibits, but plenty of reprinted news articles, photographs, equipment, and a few brief videos. It was great to see so many people walking through, especially parents with kids.
                                                                       Cool Papa Bell

Josh Gibson
I had not originally planned to go to the American Jazz Museum, not realizing they were in the same building. I bought the combo ticket, and walked across where I was given a quick overview and a map. It's self-guided and self-paced, with some great memorabilia from legends like Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, and interactive stations throughout. I would have liked to linger a little bit, but I was in a rush to get to my next stop. If you are a jazz fan (or if you're next door at the NLBM) I'd suggest stopping in, and maybe plan your visit to attend one of the live performances in the Blue Room.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days