A-climbing we will go

Well, I've done it. I finished my third stair climb in three weeks. Today was for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation at the IDS Center; up 1280 steps/50 flights. You may recall that this whole stair climbing obsession began a year ago as I prepared to take on the winding steps to the top of Notre Dame, all 387 of them. At the time, that seemed  an impossible task, and I thought I should practice to avoid the embarrassment and inconvenience of dying in Paris. In hindsight, 387 steps seems like a treat. Upon returning to work, I decided to keep walking the stairs, even increasing the amount to 25 flights (which is about 600 stairs, more or less). I need goals or a list or something to keep my mind occupied, and the next goal was in November for the Minneapolis Lions Club, climbing 35 flights in the AT&T Tower.

Since that wasn't as terrible as it could have been, I kept going, and started looking for other climbs in the Twin Cities. Just my luck, there were three, all in a row, and all had fundraising requirements. In for a penny, in for a pound, so I signed up for all three and hoped I could count on the generosity of my friends, and the resilience of my spirit, if not my knees. Four months of pretty steady training, and I felt ready for the first climb, 1272 steps/53 flights in the Capella Tower for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's  Big Climb, raising $157. Pretty happy with my time.


No rest for the weary or wicked, so I psyched myself up for the next climb on my 'home turf' of the US Bank Building, the stairwell I practice in regularly. This was for the American Lung Association's Fight for Air Climb, 680 steps/31 flights, raising $230. I was surprised and touched by how many people donated because they were personally impacted by a lung/respiratory issue, so in this case, I felt that I was really walking for them. My goal time was 15 minutes, and I blew that out of the water (not bragging, really). 



The last climb seemed more daunting; I think I was tired, the knees were a little angry with me, and 1280 seemed like a mountain. But, the good thing about telling everyone that you're going to do something, you kind of have to follow through. So, instead of sleeping in and enjoying doing nothing, I packed myself up, hopped on the light rail, and headed downtown to climb in the CF Foundation's climb after having raised $158. Here we go! This climb was pretty relaxed and informal, not timed, a lot more kids climbing (I'll be damned if they didn't pass my wheezy old ass), but tons of volunteers. I was a little disappointed in the IDS stairwells, to be honest; it's one of the poshest buildings around, home to the Crystal Court, Basil's, and one of the best observation floors in the city, but those stairwells, pretty narrow and drab. Tsk, tsk. After what seemed like forever, I made it to the 50th floor, my lungs screaming at me. Oh my god, give me some water. Hydration refocused me on my next goal, which was to stuff my maw with some treats from Angel Food Bakery & Donut Bar (now, that's a bar I can get behind). 


View from the 50th floor. Are those Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun?
Mmmmm



It's crazy the work that goes into these climbs (personally, I'd be fine if they just opened the stairwells and let me go, but people like a party, don't they?): the food/water, volunteer coordination, climber coordination, oh, and fundraising. Thanks to the buildings that open up their doors, and stairs; to the volunteers who are interminably cheerful; and the people fighting these illnesses and diseases and their families; and thanks to my friends who donated and supported me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days