And the tradition continues - another State Fair in the books

Blueberry Basil Lemonade

The last deep fried pickle, modeled by TB2
It's not the longest tradition going, but for me and my friend, TB2, going to the Minnesota State Fair for a few hours, eating deep fried pickles and trying a few random foods, AND visiting the baby piglets, is our tradition. This is the first (and last) time that we'll go on the opening day (more on that in a bit). I long resisted, and resented, going to the Great Minnesota Get Together because of: the people, the heat, the price, the people, etc., but TB2 and I have a method, she tolerates me when I'm a raving bitch, and navigates and I go with her to the Grandstand AND the baby barn where we can look at piglets; we share some foods, others we tackle on our own, and we only go for a few hours. It's a wonderful thing. The night we went was perfect weather-wise, almost autumnal; we discovered some new things, including food and also that if you want to see a lot of piglets and other baby animals, you may want to wait until the fair has been going for a few days. Lesson learned. We tried deep fried avocado, which was okay, and sort of healthy; my new favorite, that we tried last year, and tasted SOO good this time, deep fried grilled cheese with marinara sauce made with bloody Mary mix, OMG, these were at O'Gara's. The other thing that stuck with me, literally and figuratively, was the blueberry basil lemonade. Holy shit, get me a jug. I'll just need to bring floss next year for the basil. This gem was at the Blue Barn. I spent most of my money supporting the bees, and getting some creamed honey and a few other treats, but we really didn't go crazy on the food this year. Without further ado, some photos.
Dill pickle cider or beer 








Alice in Wonderland in flowers



 Seed Art

The first butter head of the fair





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days