Farewell to London after a quick visit

I love London and manage to do something different and stay in different locations every time I visit. I do love it here. The purpose of this visit was to see Phil Collins in Paris and then maximize my time across the Atlantic. I only have two full days left, and I think I can say "mission accomplished": 6 countries in 17 days, four concerts by two of my favorite performers (more on the Adele concerts in another post), visits with old friends, mostly gorgeous weather, tried some new foods. Seriously, what more could I ask for? Anyway, my stop in London was too short, but packed with walking, tube rides, theater, and traipses across the city looking for quirky things. I have been on a steady diet of Agatha Christie of a while, and wanted to make this a trip to see Christie-related things, like the play "The Mousetrap" and the Art Deco style building that was used as Poirot's flat.



There was more, but I ran out of time. I went to The Cabinet War Rooms/Churchill War Rooms, which is part of the Imperial War Musuem (I visited there last time, and it was an interesting museum). If you are a World War II buff, this warren of rooms is a must see. You definitely get a sense of claustrophobia and the rooms are well laid out to represent how it was over seventy years ago. There is an audio guide which I gave up on only because I didn't have the patience, but it is full of great background. I also revisited the Museum of London, which is free, and located in the Barbican area, on the grounds of the ancient Roman fort that was built centuries ago. I love this museum, the way it is laid out to lead the visitor in a stroll through the millenia. The artifacts and exhibits are fascinating and tell the story of londinium to London. There are hands on activities and videos. You should almost start your visit here to understand the city you are about to explore.







I wandered through Soho, looking for signs of Genesis...the band, not the bible. There are two studios where they recorded that are still there in one form. Sadly, I couldn't get in, but it was more about being there, in those narrow streets, imagining.


There were a lot of other new places I wanted to go, but time was at a premium, with me traveling to Wembley Stadium two nights, and, also my feet and endurance hitting a low ebb. And, I was kind of
hooked on this game show, called "15 to 1". Sad, i know.

I was very proud that I was able to help a visitor navigate the Tube system. Yes, me, Mr. Magoo. Maybe that's why I love London so much, I can figure out where I'm going, even if it takes me a while.

A little teaser until I can write my review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days