What doesn't kill me will make me stronger?

It is a little more than a month until THE TRIP. Plans continue to shape up, in fact, I have spent ENTIRE weekends planning, unplanning, re-planning and wishing I had another few weeks. I don't think I planned this much for my mega six week trip around the world. Maybe I did, I can't remember last week, much less ten years ago. Some of the things I have 'accomplished' from my lazy girl recliner: booked a ticket to the Anne Frank House, booked a walking tour in Barcelona, early entry into Familia Sagrada, made a list of Agatha Christie sites in London that I hope to see. I used to fly by the seat of my pants; who needs to plan, I would think. It's much more fun to be spontaneous. I don't totally disagree, but I don't have the luxury to be willy-nilly, and hope I get to the right place or see what I want to see. I have an average of 2 1/2 days in each city and I want to make the most of them, so, I'm planning more and booking more arranged tours, with the idea that they will be more efficient than I will (if you doubt that, read my book Oh, You're a Vegetable, and experience of walking around in fancy circles in St. Petersburg). I booked a seat for the train from Edinburgh to London, which was quite the ordeal, as some of the fares were pretty steep. The ticket on Virgin Trains looked good, so I did it. Then, I'll take Southwest Trains to Bracknell. Things are looking good. Now, I'm planning menu items: paella in Barcelona; patisserie in Paris; fish and chips in Bracknell; salmon in Edinburgh; cheese in Amsterdam.

I'm also working hard to make sure I don't expire on the trip. I'm sure that sounds ghoulish, but I'm half serious. I want to walk up the tower in Notre Dame, and that is 387 steps. Have you ever climbed 387 steps? I'm sure I have, but that was over 10 years ago when I walked up the Eiffel Tower and St. Peter's Basilica. For the past 3 weeks, I have been walking up the stairs at the office, starting with 8 flights, then 16, then 19 and today I did 20 flights with a back pack. These flights have 22 steps, so today I did 440 steps. Yay me. I am feeling confident that while I will not set any speed records, I will also not embarrass myself as some old age pensioner zooms past me in a race to see the gargoyles.

Still awaiting the delivery of my Adele tickets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days