Peace and (relative) Quiet Among the Cranes

My very first blog post for this particular blog was about driving the I-90/I-94 corridor to my hometown of Cleveland, and in all those subsequent years of driving that route, I had never stopped at the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, Wisconsin. To be fair to me, I've only just recently become interested in any bird aside from eagles; once this interest took hold of me, I became determined to visit this place, just off of Highway 12, which is just off of I-90/I-94. I am writing this in early October and the location will close down for the winter at the end of October and re-open in May, so if you can't make it in the next few weeks, put it on your 2023 calendar to stop by on your way to Chicago or the Dells. After I made my way to the free parking lot, I paid my entrance fee (as of this writing, they do give a discount for AAA membership, but since the fee is only $12.50 for adults, and it was just little old me, I didn't take advantage. The staff was outsidde because there was some painting going on and the fumes were pretty potent; but because of this, the visitor center was closed, so I missed the introductory film, displays and the gift shop. I did get a map (which as we know, so silly); but I just started walking; there are very extensive walking paths off of the main paths through the birds, if you are looking for more walking opportunities. I don't know if it was me or the surroundings or both or something else, but it was really peaceful; the people who were visiting (and there was a good number of them on a September Friday morning) were very respectful of the birds and talking in quiet voices or not at all. 

I tried to capture the species of cranes, but I'm sure I missed some or will get some wrong, so to those who know better, my apologies. Feel free to compare with this site 15 Types of Crane Bird Species in 2023 (With Pictures) - Optics Mag

Sarus Crane

White Naped Crane (maybe?)



Black Necked Crane

Hooded Crane

Wattled Crane

Grey-Crowned Crane (I love these colors, good job Mother Nature)



Black Crowned Crane

Whooping Crane (?)


Siberian Crane


I am looking forward to returning to the cranes next spring on my next drive home. I've been recommending this as a day trip to my friends in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Illinois. I was surprised at how many people who drive in that area of the state have never heard of the International Crane Foundation, so I feel like I made a worthwhile discovery. As we sit here in the dark winter (I just spent the day chopping the ice in my driveway), I am looking forward to a few good road trips.

Stay safe out there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days