Pre-trip jitters

I would not say I'm a nervous traveler or flyer; I'm not sure I could do the trips I do if I was. I think I have become a planner, however, and I woke up this morning (mere days away from departure) freaking out because I couldn't remember if I needed visas for Japan or S. Korea. Okay, "freaking out" is a bit dramatic, but I did have a bit of a heart flutter until I re-confirmed that I do NOT need visas for those countries. Now, in case you're thinking, um, hey dummy, shouldn't you have looked into that a little while ago? I did, and in fact, got my Chinese visa back in August, so I did do my homework, but it typifies the waves of panic I've had over the past few weeks. This panic has resulted in many online purchases.

I knew I was going to a cold place; Harbin is called "Ice City" and all the literature stressed the negative temperatures; I was fine with that, blasé, you might say, UNTIL I realized that I might be fine, but my camera might not be. Oh my gosh, my camera has to work. So, I bought a camera 'coozy', a little fleece sweater for my camera; I also bought a phone 'coozy' (actually called a phoozy) to keep my phone warm and save the battery; and of course, to push the buttons on said electronics, I bought a pair of phone gloves (all within two days). I have purchased two tripods, one for my camera and one for my phone - I will NOT be defeated by night time photography. I have my wind pants and orange colored winter jacket from my Iceland trip. Oh, thermal pantaloons and more socks. I justified all of these purchases by virtue of the fact that I live in Minnesota and when it's not global warming out, it can be frigid in the winter and I will use all of these purchases. I have my own set of traveling silverware, including chopsticks, but since I struggle with chopsticks, I am also bringing my training pair of chopsticks. I won't starve, don't worry, I also have lots of 'healthy' snacks and the word for 'vegetarian' written for my, thanks to my travel planner in China, Lily.

I've made other preparations: I like to pre-plan (yes, it's a thing) the tours I might take because I don't want to waste time wandering around or trying to figure out what to do. I do leave time for improvisation, also known as getting lost, so I don't totally overbook myself. I will hit the ground running on my first full day in Japan with a trip to Mt. Fuji (fingers crossed the weather cooperates); and a ticket, but no set time, to go up in the Tokyo Skytree, which is a tower; I recently received confirmation that I will be on a tour to the DMZ, I suppose that could be ruined by what's going on in the that region, but I'm optimistic; a trip to Mt. Seorak and Nami Island, which will give me time to experience some of S. Korea's nature outside of Seoul; a ticket to N. Seoul Tower; the Harbin itinerary is pretty set and I relied on Lily to help me with that.

Last minute jitters and purchase aside, I am super excited and cannot wait to go these new places and have some amazing adventures. Stay tuned for more stories and photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days