Iceland - Day Two all day tour on the Southern Coast

We opted for several group tours instead of renting a car; mainly, I didn't want to be bothered, and most of the coaches are pretty comfortable, they have wi-fi, and they know where they're going, especially in the dark. Also, a lot of people turn up their noses, but I have been on some very good ones. Anyway, we started off around 9 in the morning, heading out of Reykjavik, towards the south coast and towards our first waterfall, Skogafoss (of course, there is all kinds of scenery out of the bus windows like lesser known/less accessible waterfalls, sheep, mountains, possibly a volcano or two). Regular readers may recall that I have a 'thing' for climbing steps and trying not to pass out, and they may appreciate the hike up Skogafoss, around 527 steps on a somewhat rickety staircase. I did not pass out, and was a little proud of myself. It was a beautiful, even before the climb, with rainbows appearing out of the mist of the water. We were there about 30 minutes. As we were driving, we did pass volcanoes, including the infamous Eyjafjallajökull which erupted in 2010 shutting down air travel between Europe and North America. We made a stop along a black beach and then headed for more black sand and Reynisfjara, which was amazing with the crashing waves and the basalt and lava rocks and sand. We headed back for the city and came to Seljalandsfoss; the sun was pretty much gone, but the waterfalls was lit up (a little). I need to work on my night photography. This was a long day, but it was worth it. Our guide, Lorenzo, was really good, and as an immigrant, he gave us a different perspective on Iceland foods, culture and the language. Of course, I had my 'please sit behind me and say stupid things' sign on, but I'll save that for another time.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days