Kansas City pt. 2 - National World War I Museum and Memorial and Kaufmann Stadium


After starting the morning at 18th and Vine, I caught an Uber over to the National World War I Museum and Memorial. The fact that I was going here was not because I had planned way in advance like I did for everything else; I came across it through serendipity, and I am so glad I did. The museum is under the memorial, two exhibit halls and guarded by sphinxes. As you enter (I bought my combo ticket online), you cross over a field of poppies, and enter into an introductory film that explains the powder keg that was Europe in the early 1900s, capped off by the assassination of Emperor Franz Ferdinand. After that, you are free to wander the exhibits (although they are set up in roughly chronological order). I was amazed by the breadth of the collection; it wasn't just made up of American or Allied items, but also German, Austro-Hungarian, Russian, and from every front. It's not only guns, but uniforms, medals, medical equipment and tanks, jeeps, trucks, and a replica of a trench. Exhibits are displayed on the ground, over head and under your feet. There are some interactive stations as well. In addition to the main area, there are the two exhibit halls above ground that are included in the ticket; I only went into one of them that was featuring artwork on the unique relationship between American and Australian soldiers from World War I to the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I added the special exhibit "For Liberty: American Jewish Experience in WWI", which was interesting on many levels, but as it relates to today, it's the immigrant experience in a new country, trying to fit in, and still help one's homeland, and the challenges that entails. And of course, because I love towers, I tacked on the Memorial Tower. It was a beautiful, sunny day. I was up there with some locals so I eavesdropped as they pointed out Kansas City landmarks. I think I was there close to two hours, perhaps closer to three. I could have stayed longer, and I would love to go back. I have been to many museums, and I would have to say this is one of the best. The 100th anniversary of the Armistice is approaching in November - 100 years later and we still have learned nothing.
a look into a trench




View from Memorial Tower

At Kaufman Stadium



We finally arrive at the whole reason for my whirlwind trip down to Kansas City: a visit to Kaufmann Stadium, another item on one of my lists (I have 16 baseball stadiums or stadia to visit). It was a beautiful night, and the first 15,000 fans got a free Royals hoodie. Whoo hoo. I love the openness of the stadium and the fountains. My seat was in center field near one of the fountains; not great if you want to see the big screen, but I thought it was perfect. I bought my way too expensive sandwich and drink with souvenir cup and my one dollar scorecard and sat down to wait for the game to start. I wish I would have gotten there a lot earlier and had my act together so I could find the "Buck O'Neil" seat which is in honor of the late Kansas City Monarch and community leader and given to someone in the community. I know, it's just a seat, but he was so important to baseball and a gentleman, I wanted to see how they honored him. Well, maybe next time. I stayed for most of the game, until the conclusion was inevitable; Cleveland just couldn't pull it off Saturday night, so I headed back to the hotel, right across the highway (that was probably the most dangerous thing I did all day), and watched the fireworks (literally) from my room. One day was not enough time. Sadly, I didn't get to try any kind of barbecue or other cuisine, too busy running around. Thank you Kansas City for a warm welcome and an unforgettable weekend. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days