Minnesota's own - SPAM


SPAM Museum, Austin, MN


For anyone who knows me, they are probably trying to figure out why I went to a museum that celebrates pork (I have not intentionally eaten pork in 30 years). I was actually wondering that same thing as my partner in crime, TB2, and I drove down I-35 to Austin, Minnesota, in the most obnoxious rain. I don't know, it was something to do, and the original plan included a stop at Bennigan's down in Clear Lake, Iowa. It was about an hour's drive from our meeting place in Northfield, and then a bit of navigating in downtown Austin (originally, we wound up at the SPAM factory, which might have put me over the edge). We strolled over and walked into the free museum where we were warmly welcomed by two women at the reception desk. The museum is full of SPAM and Hormel family history and it's self guided, although there are tours available. There are plenty of hands on exhibits, things for kids to try and climb on. There are exhibits featuring the many ways that SPAM is cooked around the world with over ten varieties of SPAM (now including turkey SPAM). There are also people walking around with samples; my friend tried two and I politely declined. Hormel is not just SPAM or Hormel chili, it's a pretty massive food conglomerate that reaches around the world, and it's based in Austin, Minnesota. Pretty cool. Of course, what would a museum be without a gift shop? All the varieties of SPAM (many not available in US stores): jalapeƱo, teriyaki, hot and spicy, chorizo, tocino and more are available here; t-shirts, sweatshirts, cookware. I am sitting here wearing my new tie-dyed SPAM shirt. We had a good time, and the place was hopping. It's a pretty easy drive down from the Twin Cities or up from Iowa.





We went to B & J Bar and Grill for lunch (Bennigan's will have to wait) where they feature several SPAM menu items. None of which we had, but we had a good lunch, turkey mushroom burger with tots and TB2 had the mushroom burger burger.

And then, my silly friend had the idea we should drive up the road and see Buffy the Cow. It was free and on the way. MOO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days