Amsterdam: the city of canals, cheese and Chocomel

While it is true that you can squeeze a lot into a brief visit to Amsterdam, I wish that wasn't necessary, but I did it to myself. I landed yesterday, I honestly don't know what day it was, but it doesn't matter. I booked a tour for 2:45, and I landed at Schipol airport around 12:30, and got my bag around 1:10. Is anyone else scratching their heads asking what the hell were thinking? Well, I was. Especially when I got to the departure point exactly at 2:45 which was a little late (in Barcelona I would have early), the bus hadn't left yet, so we did a modified bus run and got on the coach and met our guide, Edgar. I'm glad I didn't miss it because we covered a lot of ground in 6 hours. We started in Zaanse Schans to see a working windmill; windmills are used to grind nuts for oils, pump water, for energy, etc. The mill we visited was over 400 years old. I grabbed a gelato from another windmill.


Then it was off to Volendam for CHEESE. I am not even going to hide it - I was excited, and hungry. There was a quick demonstration before the free samples. I want to mention that all three major stops we made, the demonstrators spoke in English and Spanish, and they possibly knew German. That is at least four languages that they speak. Very impressive. Anyway, I bought some cheese, and have been eating it ever since. Delicious. Then I think it was the wooden shoe demonstration, but it could have been the boat ride, I was kind of in a zombie-like state. But, at some point, we had a wooden shoe demonstration, and I think I would have bought a pair for myself, but I already felt like my 
suitcase weighed 8 tons.

 

We stopped for lunch, and most of us went to the place recommend by the tour, and Edgar suggested the kibbling, which is a local dish of fried cod. Not like English fish  and chips which can be heavy, but pan fried, and the fish was delicious. We got back to the city center around 7, and any thoughts I 
might have had on a canal ride, or seeing Amsterdam at night went out of my sleepy head. I was 
knackered, and couldn't get back to the hotel fast enough. I was so tired, I almost overslept the next morning and missed my time for the Anne Frank house. I took the city tram there, which was relatively easy. I waited in line, because I think they try to manage the flow of people because it is ultimately a pretty small space. You can't take pictures, but that's okay, it kind of nice to focus on what's around you. People from all over come to visit, and a woman from South Korea said she heard of it because it is the most famous thing in Amsterdam. It's hard to capture the feelings I had in this quick little blog, but it was very emotional, especially in the video shown at the end, when you realize the impact this young woman had on millions of people, and what is happens in the US today. 


I hadn't eaten yet, and I found this little cafe near the Anne Frank house and had mini Dutch pancakes. He gave me two little corks, but if he thought I was go into share, he doesn't know me very well. After finishing, I wandered over (literally) to the Rijksmuseum to see a few Rembrandts,Vermeers, Van Goghs, and more. I bought an advance ticket for the Rijksmuseum and pretty much walked in, but that is not always the case. It's hard for me to linger too long, I get antsy. The building is huge, but somehow I wasn't overwhelmed. I found the paintings I wanted to see, and then ate some cheese and a croissant. 


I was supposed to go on a walking tour of Anne Frank's neighborhood, and I really wanted to, but I could not do it, not for over two hours. Even with my new power drink, Chocomel. I fly out tomorrow, and just wanted to rest. I feel horrible because I don't know when I'll be back, but I'm pretty sure my hips and knees hate me. I have enjoyed my brief time here, in the biggest bedroom of the whole trip, and four pillows. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days