Quick stops in Green Bay and Milwaukee

I made a trip home recently (Cleveland, if you're new to the blog), and I made a stop in Green Bay to see the Dixie Chicks and Milwaukee to see a Brewers baseball game. I have never been to Green Bay, it's actually not that far from the Twin Cities. Green Bay is home to the Green Bay Packers. That's it, as far as I could tell. But, it's a big deal. The concert was on a Saturday night, in an arena spitting distance from Lambeau Field, and there were so many people in Packers' gear, I thought there was a game that night. I didn't go into the stadium, it looked like you could, but I did take some snaps from around the stadium. A review of the concert will be in my movie review blog.
Curly Lambeau

Vince Lombardi















I've been to Milwaukee for concerts before, but I usually just go to the hotel and then the venue, and I haven't explored too much, so this was my first visit to Miller Park, home of the Milwaukee Brewers. It was a beautiful day for baseball, and me without my sunscreen and hat (I paid the price for that error in judgement). I got there about two hours early, and walked around the ballpark, checked out its retractable roof and the different statues and other Brewers 'memorabilia', which is always fun. (Seeing all of the major league teams in their ballpark is one of my 'lists', eleven down, nineteen to go.) I thought it was a great ballpark, lots of local touches, tributes to the 'old' Milwaukee Braves, local foods like sausages (none for me, thanks) and Miller beer. I thought the food was a bit more reasonably priced than at Target Field, and there weren't too many gourmet or pretentious food places that I saw (who goes to the ballpark for a gourmet meal? isn't the point to eat popcorn and ice cream?) I don't know why, but I didn't try to get my usual seats either up and behind home plate or in the outfield, closer to center field. I like those views, but this time for some reason I picked along the left field foul line. I suppose that's neither here nor there. I enjoyed the game, and Milwaukee isn't that far away either, if I wanted to catch another one.

Hank Aaron

Miller Park, with retractable roof

Bob Uecker, Mr. Baseball















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All aboard to Marrakech

Flying Solo

Barcelona - the first two days